Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Music Snob?

Now I know that not many of you will read all of this post, and that's okay. I know that some will disagree with me and that's okay. You are entitled to your own opinions and so am I. I wrote this based off of what happened last Sunday...

Mary and I were watching the Grammy awards the other night. Listening and watching the supposed "best" of music. Which some were rightly given the award in there perspective category. And others I believe did not deserve such a prize. I was making comment about these "artists" and their wins and performances, when half way through watching and discussing with Mary, she calls me a music snob. This came after she asked me why I do not like the band Muse? My response to that was, "I think they're boring and they're trying to make their music seem bigger and more grandiose than it is and they are over rated." Who knows, I may very well be a music snob. One thing is for certain is that I just like good music from talented artists, from all different genres.

I do not care for most of the modern artists of late. It has become a music world of pop music with the same drum beat of bass snare bass snare bass snare and so on. It has also become a world of the auto tuner. A device, that for some artists is an effect for vocals, for most of the mainstream pop, r&b, rap and even rock, they use this devise to correct their voice that is not hitting the right note or pitch and you get this wha-wha sound in the vocals. I don't mind a little effect, however if you use the same effect for every song you either cannot sing live or you're lazy. One other thing that bugs me are "artists" that take other musicians songs and loop them to sing over them. I don't mind covers, I really enjoy covers. Most of the songs that the Glee cast sings are really good and sometimes better than the original. All I'm saying is, for those artists that make a new song out of an old song needs to stop. I also gauge an artist on how they perform live. If they can sing well, play their instruments well, and have an energy that is infectious, it shows true talent and musicianship. A big stage production, laser show, back-up dancers and even the artist themselves dancing and showing off their moves does not impress me much. I want to see the talent. On a side note, the only artist that can dance and sing is Michael Jackson. During the Grammys there were performances by: Muse, Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, Usher, Arcade Fire, and Katy Perry. But, the one artist that wiped the floor with them was Mick Jagger. For a guy that is 67 years old, he didn't even break a sweat. He was also the one artist that got that entire audience on their feet. Legend.

Finally after my long rant, to which you can be the judge if I'm a music snob or not, I have included a list of forty bands or artists that I listen to and that I think are good and have real talent, in no particular order.


THE TOP FORTY I LISTEN TO

1. Dave Matthews Band
2. Zach Brown Band
3. AC/DC
4. Aerosmith
5. The Beatles
6. Bill Withers
7. Billy Joel
8. Celtic Woman
9. Chicago
10. Phil Collins
11. Andy McKee
12. Diamond Rio
13. The Eagles
14. Elvis Presley
15. Eric Clapton
16. Fleetwood Mac
17. Frank Sinatra
18. Garth Brooks
19. Green Day
20. Jack Johnson
21. James Taylor
22. John Mayer
23. John McLaughlin
24. Kenny Chesney
25. The Civil Wars
26. Michael Jackson
27. Michael Buble
28. Miles Davis
29. Mumford & Sons
30. Norah Jones
31. Pearl Jam
32. John Legend and the Roots
33. The Police/Sting
34. Ray Charles
35. The Rolling Stones
36. Rush
37. Santana
38. Reba McEntire
39. U2
40. Keith Urban

Just know that there is more than this list. If you do end up reading this list please list your top ten artists in the comments section.

One last thing, if you want check out this video from the Grammys that includes John Mayer, Nora Jones, and Keith Urban singing Dolly Parton's song, 'Jolene.' Talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Category List